Fluffy, Homemade Cinnamon Rolls Recipe
- YEAST MIXTURE
- ⅓ cup very warm water (110-115 degrees like a warm baby bottle)
- 1 package active dry yeast (2¼ teaspoons)
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup buttermilk (room temperature)
- ½ cup whole milk (room temperature)
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 cups all-purpose flour, sifted (may need more or less)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- ½ cup butter, melted
CREAM CHEESE GLAZE
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 2-4 tablespoons milk (may need more or less)
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt (optional)
- In a measuring cup stir together water, ¼ teaspoon sugar, and yeast.
- Let mixture sit for a few minutes until it is puffy and foamy.
- Pour yeast mixture into a large bowl.
- Add in ½ cup sugar, buttermilk, whole milk, melted butter, canola oil, vanilla extract, and eggs.
- Mix until combined.
- Mix in salt and baking powder.
- Gradually mix in the flour a little at a time, using just enough so that the dough pulls from the sides of the bowl. It will be slightly sticky but shouldn't stick to a clean fingertip.
- Once dough has formed place the ball of dough into a large, lightly greased bowl.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place the bowl in a warm location.
- Let sit for about 1 hour or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Gently punch the dough down a few times to release the air.
- Sprinkle a work surface lightly with flour and turn dough onto floured surface.
- Knead the dough gently a couple of times and then pat the dough into a rectangle that is about ¼ inch thick.
- Brush the dough with half of the melted butter. (I sometimes add in a bit of vanilla extract to the butter)
- In a small bowl mix together brown sugar & cinnamon.
- Sprinkle on half the brown sugar mixture.
- Brush again with butter and finish with remaining brown sugar mixture.
- Starting from the end furthest from you, begin tightly rolling up the dough.
- When done, place the roll seam-side down, and carefully slice the roll into 12 (1½-inch) sections.
- Place the rolls in a greased baking pan,sides touching.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm location to let rise.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until sides of cinnamon rolls are lightly golden.
- While rolls are cooking, prepare the glaze by combining all cream cheese glaze ingredients in a bowl until smooth and silky.
- When cinnamon rolls come out of the oven, let cool for a few minutes and then spread on the glaze.
- Serve piping hot, warm or room temperature!