CHEESY POTATO CASSEROLE RECIPE
Cheesy Potato Casserole is the ideal holiday side dish recipe for anyone that loves cheese and potatoes. This hash brown potato casserole recipe is super easy, super cheesy, and topped off with a crunchy potato chip topping!
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter melted – divided
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ½ medium yellow onion diced
- 1 can cream of celery soup
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 2 cups sour cream
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese - divided
- 1 1 lb. 14 oz. package frozen shredded hash browns, partially thawed
- 2 cups crushed ruffle potato chips
- ¼ cup unsalted butter melted
- ½ teaspoon Parisien Bonnes Herbes, chives, dill or your favorite dried herb. (optional)
- Heat oven to 350°F and spray a 9x13 or a 2 quart baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Add two tablespoons butter and the oil. Once the butter and oil are hot, add the diced onion and sauté until the onion is translucent and tender.
- In a very large mixing bowl, whisk together the remaining 4 tablespoons melted butter, celery soup, mushroom soup, sour cream and 1 cup grated cheese. Add in the sautéed onion (along with the oil & butter).
- Stir well.
- Add the hash browns and mix thoroughly until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Transfer the potato mixture to the prepared dish and cover with the potato chip topping.
- Bake at 350°F for 45-55 minutes or until mixture is hot throughout and bubbly around the edged. The chips will look toasty but shouldn’t be burnt.
- Let rest 5-10 minutes.
- Serve and Enjoy!
TO MAKE AHEAD:
- Prepare the potatoes without the topping, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate up to 48 hours. When ready to cook, remove the casserole from the refrigerator 30 minutes before cooking. Add the potato chip topping (can also be made ahead) and bake. An additional 5-10 minutes baking time might be needed.