Best Herb Roast Potatoes
This is simply the best Herb Roast Potatoes Recipe. Picture Hasselback-style potatoes roasted till crispy on the outside and tender on the inside.
- For the potatoes:
- 2 lbs mini potatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
For the herb butter:
- 1/4 cup melted butter or a mixture of butter and olive oil, or entirely olive oil
- 3 tablespoons mixed fresh herbs parsley, thyme, basil and oregano
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 pinch of pepper
- 1 pinch of red pepper
- optional: lemon zest , capers, jalapeno, Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place each potato on a flat countertop. Take a small knife, slice along the potato thin slices of about 1/16 inch thickness making sure not to go all the way. Slice about half way deep only along the potato.
- Place the sliced potatoes on a parchment lined baking sheet and toss them evenly with salt, pepper and olive oil.
- Roast the potatoes in the oven for about 20-25 mins until tender on the inside and crispy on the outside.
- In the meantime, place all the butter ingredients in a small bowl and mix them well.
- Once the potatoes are out of the oven and still hot, take a brush or small spoon and divide the butter evenly on the tops, sides and inside each slice of the potatoes.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if desired.
- When slicing the potatoes, the easiest way to do so is to place your potatoes on a flat surface and hold it on one end. Take a small sharp knife and start slicing about 1/16th inch thin slices (or like 3-4 mm) making sure you don’t slice all the way to the end. Aim for just a little more than half the depth of the potato. When you reach halfway slicing through the potato, switch sides so that the sliced end is furthest away from you.
- Before baking, these best herb roast potatoes will look like they need deeper slicing but don’t be tempted to that. The slices will open up or fan out during baking. Just give them a nice seasoning of olive oil, salt and pepper and they’re ready to bake.
- Once the Herb Roast Potatoes are baked till crispy on the outside, and tender soft on the inside, and while they’re still hot out of the oven, take a spoon and place a bit of the butter mixture on the outside and inside of each slice to take them to a whole other level of roast potatoes!