Easy Chicken and Rice Soup
The perfect soup for a cold day or if you have a cold! It also makes a great weeknight meal.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 medium carrots chopped
- 2 celery ribs cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 quarts chicken stock or broth we use low sodium
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken can use rotisserie chicken
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Place a large pot over medium heat and add the olive oil. Add the onion, garlic, carrots, celery, thyme and bay leaf. Cook and stir for about 6 minutes, until the vegetables are softened but not browned.
- Pour in the chicken broth and water and bring the liquid to a boil. Add in the rice and chicken; season with salt and pepper.
- Cook on medium-low until the rice is tender, about 25-30 minutes. Serve warm.
- *Note-for the shredded chicken you can use rotisserie chicken or leftover chicken and shred it. To cook the chicken for the soup, bring a pot of water on the stove and add two chicken breast, that have been cut into large pieces. Boil the chicken until it is cooked all the way through and there is no pink left. This will take about 7 minutes or so. Drain the water and shred the chicken once it is cooled. I use 2 forks to shred the chicken. You can also use leftover turkey in this soup recipe. You can use wild rice or brown rice, it will just take a little longer to cook!