CARNE ASADA RECIPE
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- juice of 1 orange (about 1/4 cup of juice)
- juice of 1 lime (about 2 tablespoons of juice)
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds flank steak or skirt steak, excess fat removed
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients except for the steak.
- Place the steak in a large baking dish or gallon size zip-top bag and pour the marinade on top. Turn the steak a few times until it's completely coated with the marinade and refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours. Do not marinate for longer than 8 hours because the meat will start to break down and get mushy.
- Remove steak from marinade and pat dry with paper towels. Drizzle with a touch of olive oil, enough to coat each side, and season lightly with coarse salt and black pepper.
- Preheat grill to medium-high. Grill steaks for 8 minutes per side, turning once, depending on the thickness.
- Remove steaks and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Slice thinly against the grain and serve with mexican rice, refried beans and avocado salad.