Vegan Garlic Alfredo PastaPREP TIME: 1 HRS
COOK TIME: 15 MINS
- 12 ounces any pasta (I used fettuccine)
- chopped parsley, for garnish
- Vegan Alfredo Sauce
- 2 teaspoons vegan butter or olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 cup cashews, soaked overnight, or in hot water for one hour
- 1/4 cup pasta water
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened almond milk
- 4 cloves roasted garlic*
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons vegan parmesan cheese + extra for topping
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Cook pasta according to package directions in a well salted pot of water. Reserve ¼ cup of the pasta water.
- While the pasta is boiling/you're waiting for the water to boil, in a pan over medium high heat, heat the vegan butter or olive oil. Add the onion, stir and let cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the onions from the pan and add it to a blender. Add the rinsed off soaked cashews (without the water), the pasta water, the almond milk, the roasted garlic, the nutritional yeast, the sea salt the vegan parmesan cheese and the lime juice. Blend it all together until completely creamy. If you have a high powered blender this will happen quickly, about 1 minute, if not, just keep blending until completely smooth and creamy. Taste and add more salt or vegan parmesan cheese if necessary.
- When the pasta is finished boiling, drain and pour back into the pan you had used earlier or even into a Tupperware container if you want. Pour the Alfredo sauce over and stir to combine completely.
- When serving, top with parsley to garnish and more vegan parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
*YES roasted garlic takes about 40 minutes, but you’ll need to wait for your cashews to soak for an hour at least anyway! Cut a bit of the tops off of a whole head of garlic, put it in foil, drizzle olive oil on it, wrap the foil around it and cook it at 450 degrees F for 45 minutes in your oven until the cloves are soft and velvety! Allow it to cool, then push the cloves out.