Poached eggs are a beautiful thing. The whites are just firm enough on the out of doors to comprise an oozy, golden yolk in a round little egg package. And with some guidelines, you too can learn how to poach an egg flawlessly on every occasion!
Poached eggs are one of these objects I locate folks order frequently in restaurants, but they don’t make very often at domestic. Why? I assume most might say that it’s hard to get that ideal, spherical form with out plenty of crazy white wispies.
but poaching is one of the quality cooking techniques for developing healthy eggs. So these days I’ll share with you a few hints to make the perfect poached egg. I’ve tested each method underneath the sun (vinegar, salt, swirling vortex, and so forth) and i’ll proportion with you the attempted-and-true approach that works.
- YIELD: 1 egg
- TOTAL TIME: 8 minutes
- PREP TIME: 5 minutes
- COOK TIME: 3 minutes
- 1 large egg
- 1-2 tbsp vinegar (optional)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- While waiting for the water to boil, crack an egg into a small fine mesh sieve over a bowl. Swirl the egg in the sieve until all the liquidy egg whites have been removed. Then, place the egg in a ramekin.
- Stir the vinegar into the water and create a vortex. Add the egg to the middle of the vortex and cook the egg for 3 minutes.
- Remove the egg with a slotted spoon and dab it on a paper towel to remove any excess water. Serve immediately.
- Alternatively, if making the poached eggs for meal prep or ahead of time, transfer the cooked poached eggs to an ice water bath and refrigerate for a couple of days. When ready to serve, add boiling water to a bowl, then add the cold poached egg and submerge for 20-30 seconds or until warmed through. Remove the poached egg with a slotted spoon, dab dry and serve immediately.