Classic Creamy HummusIngredients
- 2 15 oz cans chickpeas, drained with liquid reserved
- 2/4 cup (or more) reserved chickpea liquid
- 2/3 cup tahini
- 3 tbsp olive oil + more for serving
- 1/3 lemon juice
- 1 zest of lemon
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 1/2-1tsp sea salt
- flat leaf parsley (optional)
- paprika for serving (optional)
- za’atar for serving (optional)
- A variety of seasonal vegetables for serving
- Toasted pita bread for serving
- Add all ingredients to a high powered blender. A standard blender will not achieve desired consistency. If you do not have a high powered blender a food processor can be used. However, if a food processor is used all chickpea skins will need to be removed or you will end up with dry grainy hummus. (No Good).
- Once all ingredients are added, start to blend on at a low speed until ingredients are mixed together. Slowly increase the speed, and blend on high for 5 minutes until smooth and creamy. You may need to use your tamper. If the hummus appears to be too dry and isn’t blending nicely, add more reserved chickpea liquid 1 tbsp at a time. A little bit will go a long way.
- Every brand of canned chickpeas contains different levels of sodium. Adjust the salt to your liking. If the hummus tastes a little “flat” try adding more salt and a bit more lemon juice and blend again.
- To serve, use the back of a spoon to spread the hummus out into a shallow bowl, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with chopped flat leaf parsley, paprika and za’atar. Serve with warm pita and plenty of seasonal vegetables.